
CHAPTER ONE: I enter the house and the smell of turkey takes hold of me. I stand in the doorway though and listen as the others carry on their conversations. Aunt Marie tells Uncle Ben about the time she had going to the hospital for the first time by herself since everyone refused to go. Barry is telling Alice not to eat her peas with her hands, and Momma tells Dad that she came and got me. I stand still and listen to their silly conversations as they pass the potatoes and enjoy their meals. Though, the longing to go back outside stays in my mind. They whales are a lot better than being in here. I get caught up in the memory of tonight that I dont even hear Dad call me. "Sophia!" I break my trance and walk into the dining room. Everyone stares as I enter. "Well my dear...Aren't you a sight for sore eyes" Aunt Marie tells me. I look down at myself and notice all the dirt that has made home on my clothing. My hair is all tangled since I refused to put it up, and my feet are black because I didnt wear shoes. Daddy looks me over once and tells me I look fine. Momma is a little put off about how I came to the dinner table but she says not one word. They continue their conversations as I take my place beside Barry. I start to scoop up potatoes when he startles me. "Out watching the whales again?" I act as though nothing happend and continue scooping potatoes on my plate. "Yes" I whisper back. He silently chuckles and handed me a roll. "You love them Sis. They are like your big pets" he laughs at his comment and I just nodd. You see, Barry is 17. Unlike my father, he is broad and tall. He has my mothers green eyes though and my fathers burnett hair. Though he is 17 he looks like he is 20. He likes to carry himself like that as well. Since he is 18 yet he gets made fun of, especially by the bar drunks. But he doesnt sweat it and continues to be more mature. I start eating my peas and look over at Alice. She on the other hand is a spitting image of my mother. Long blond hair, green eyes, everyhting. She is only 8 though so sometimes she can be quite annoying. I though look like my father. I have dark brown hair, his hazel eyes, and his wide feet. I am 15 years old but get treated like I am Alices age. It is not a great deal I must say but I have learned to live with it.
I scoop up some more food as Marie and Ben exclaim that they must be getting home. My mother exchanges hugs and my father says his goodbye from the table. I keep eating my food though I know what is coming. I need to eat as much as I can since that will be all i will probably get tonight. The door closes behind them and my mother returns to her seat. I wait quietly shoveling food in my mouth. "Sophia" I hear my father say quietly. I look up from my plate and into both my parents eyes. They gesture for Barry to take Alice and go into the kitchen. He obeys they commands and walks into the other room. I set down my fork and look down at my napkin. "Where have you been tonight" My father asks. I know he wants an answer and I dont really want to give it him. "Sophie answer your father" my mother chimes in. Most of the day I spent down by the light house. Planting flowers and chasing birds away from my strawberries. I told him this and he looks displeased. I catch his eye and look down again. "You do know there is other stuff that can be done right?" I nodd my head. "Well then I expect you to get it done tomorrow, no if, ands, or buts. YOu are to help your mother and no more of this whale nonsence ya hear" I nodd and thank heaven that he isnt yelling. They tell me that I have to go to my room and write down a list. I obey them quietly and head up the stairs to my room, but instead of writing a list. I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling. And quickly and quietly my mind comes to a halt and I fade into the darkness of the ocean around me.
No comments:
Post a Comment